Reflections from the White House: How Michigan Ross is Impacting Healthcare

Share

By Maniesh Joshi, MBA ‘16

Earlier this summer, my classmates and I were in the Office of the Vice President of the United States gazing out the window onto the White House grounds when it hit me — “How cool is this?!”

We were on a weeklong tour of Washington, D.C., and had just left the U.S. Department of Treasury, where we spoke with a number of policy experts, including Liz Fowler, former Special Assistant to the President with the National Economic Council, and one of the chief architects of the Affordable Care Act.

It was an incredible week. Every day consisted of similar meetings and discussions, all for a course I took last semester on healthcare policy and politics. Questions that my classmates posed highlighted the diverse backgrounds of the 31 students in attendance, who were enrolled in graduate and doctoral programs at the University of Michigan across business, medicine, public health, law, information, and engineering.

It was in those moments, looking out the window at the White House, that I was able to reflect on how the opportunities Michigan Ross has provided to me and my classmates will allow us to further our ability to positively impact the healthcare industry.

And it’s not just this trip to D.C. Over the past year, the Ross Healthcare and Life Science Club (HLS)* and MBA Healthcare Management Concentration afforded us a number of other opportunities to engage with and learn about the industry.

It started with the HLS Healthcare Symposium last September. The symposium brought together students, alumni, and faculty to explore how to meet the changing needs of patients and healthcare delivery stakeholders in a collaborative environment that included panel discussions and a career fair.

In addition, HLS sponsored corporate treks to the Bay Area, Minneapolis, and New Jersey to tour company facilities and meet with Ross alumni. Many of these companies then came to campus to host Lunch and Learn sessions with interested students. This ability to interact early and often with major healthcare companies surpassed any expectations I had coming into business school, and they highlighted the importance recruiters place on the Michigan Ross education.

On the other side, the curriculum allows us to live up to company expectations so we can hit the ground running after graduation.

For instance, my MAP project took me to Santiago, Chile for four weeks while some of my friends spent time in South Africa, Nicaragua, India, Israel, and across the U.S. on healthcare projects for leading NGOs, startups, and Fortune 500 companies.

The curriculum also includes classes taught by industry veterans on financing life sciences development, hospital strategy, and even a course on healthcare delivery in emerging markets that included trips to Sri Lanka and Ethiopia to work with organizations on the ground.

Our trip to D.C. ended a few weeks ago, and I can’t help but reflect on that time in the White House. When a senior economic adviser began our small group discussion, I realized how fortunate I have been to uniquely learn about this industry I am so passionate about. I’ve built lasting friendships with amazing people, and while sitting in that room I had no doubt that the time I’ve taken out of my career to grow both personally and professionally at Ross will pay dividends for years.

Then a government helicopter flew past the window. How cool is that?!

Maniesh Joshi is a rising second-year student in the Michigan Ross MBA program, following the Healthcare Management Concentration. He is set to graduate in the spring of 2016.

*Full disclosure: I’ll be the HLS club VP of Strategic Planning next year — contact us if you’d like to be involved.