Michigan Ross Adjunct Marketing Professor Named to Advertising Age 40 Under 40

Share

One of the newest Michigan Ross faculty members has been recognized by Advertising Age as one of the top rising stars in the marketing world.

Adjunct Professor and Lecturer Marcus Collins, MBA ’09/BS ’02, who brings his expertise in social media to Ross students, was named one of the industry magazine’s 40 Under 40. The list recognizes people who are reshaping marketing and making an impact at their companies and in the field. Collins is senior vice president and executive director of social engagement at Doner, where he leads the agency’s social practice.

He teaches social media marketing to Weekend MBA students and in Executive Education programs at Ross.

Advertising Age said Collins has “made big waves so far, building out the shop’s digital and social capabilities and winning new business. He helped Doner compete to become digital agency of record for Nescafé and Taster’s Choice, and scored an integrated agency of record win for Food Lion.”

“I was quite humbled to receive such an honor,” says Collins, who joined the Ross faculty in January. “I can’t help but be extremely grateful for all the amazing people who have contributed to my development over the years. I think about the clients who trusted me and believed in my ideas enough to actually let us do it. I think about the managers and mentors who saw something in me and helped me fully realize my potential.”

Collins said he was thrilled to join the faculty of his alma mater, given the growing importance of social media savvy. His industry experience helps bridge the worlds of theory and practice for students. Collins’ strategy and creative work led to the successful launches of Budweiser’s “Made In America” music festival, Bud Light Platinum, the Brooklyn Nets’ “Hello Brooklyn!” campaign, and State Farm’s “Cliff Paul” campaign.

“Today’s media landscape requires a working understanding of the social web for all marketers, across all industries,” he says. “It’s no longer a ‘nice to have.’ It’s table stakes at this point. So it’s critical young marketing talent enter the workforce with the appropriate knowledge and skills they need to thrive in today’s hyper-connected world. Here at Michigan we’re the leaders and best, so our approach with students has to go a step further and give them a transformative experience that will reshape how they see the world of social media and how they operate in it as practitioners.”

Learn more about studying Marketing at Ross

Connect with Michigan Ross        
Ross School of Business

Keywords