Ross Alum Shares Inspiring Story in Kickstarter Campaign

Share

Susan Tahir, MBA ’04, isn’t just designing and manufacturing sports bags. She’s trying to improve lives.

In launching her company, Story38 Alliance, Tahir hopes to make an impression on a market she knows exists and is untapped: tri-athletes who race for a purpose.

When Tahir runs or swims or bikes, she’s often thinking of her son, who passed away in January 2011.

“My son, Noah, is the ultimate inspiration behind what I do,” Tahir said in a recent interview with the Zell Lurie Institute. “When I hurt and feel like I can’t push myself anymore, he gives me the strength to do so.”

And Tahir knows that so many other triathletes have similar stories, similar inspiration behind why they race, and she wants to make racing gear that gets out of the way of the racers.

When her campaign on the crowdfunding site Kickstarter launched earlier this month, she took a big step toward that goal.

“Too few companies offer gear that truly reflects the importance this sport holds in our lives. I left the corporate world to change this,” Susan Tahir, MBA '04, in her Kickstarter project’s campaign video.

The Kickstarter campaign, which runs until June 28, is well on its way to raising the $18,000 Tahir needs to manufacture the first run of a newly designed racing bag for tri-athletes called The Carrier. The Carrier, according to the campaign web page, is designed with the needs of tri-athletes in mind specifically.

“With my customers and Kickstarter backers, I am creating an alliance for individuals who race with a deeper purpose ─ their own stories,” she says. “I want to give back by providing my fellow athletes with gear that helps them truly experience the sport.”

You can visit the Kickstarter campaign to learn more about the bag and back the project.

Connect with Michigan Ross        
Ross School of Business