I Want to Introduce You to a Few of the Passionate Michigan Alums and Partners I Recently Met in Shanghai

Share

At the end of May, I had the honor of representing Michigan Ross at the annual Pan-Asian Alumni Reunion held this year in Shanghai.

The Pan-Asian Reunion is one of the largest gatherings of U-M alumni across the globe, and this year more than 400 alumni and their families traveled to Shanghai to meet, network, reconnect, and learn from each other.

The Pan-Asian Reunion was a wonderful reminder of the power of our alumni network and just how connected Michigan Ross is to the global economy.

For example, I had a great discussion with Michigan alum John Wu, BS ‘89, who was among the earliest employees at Yahoo and is the former Chief Technology Officer at Alibaba. John inspired me with his vision for how technology and business can intersect to address some of the world’s most pressing challenges.

Then there’s Jun Xu, MBA ‘02, who is the Managing Director of Morgan Stanley’s private equity funds in China, and David He, PhD ‘90, who is the Managing Director of PAG Asia. Both recounted to me how they are using their Michigan education to identify attractive investment opportunities throughout China.

Ben Hassing, MBA ‘03, who is the Senior Vice President for Walmart’s e-commerce business in China, shared with me how he is leading innovations in Walmart’s business throughout the Asia-Pacific region.

With Jane Jie Sun, CEO of Ctrip, one of China’s leading travel websites and mobile platforms, we began to envision a future where Michigan Ross faculty and students help Ctrip drive innovation and elevate its business.

I was inspired. Our alumni and corporate partners in Asia are doing amazing work, and the innovations across sectors such as technology and financial services are remarkable.

At Michigan Ross, our mission is to develop new generations of business leaders who have the know-how and inspiration to harness the power of business to make a positive difference in the world. From coast to coast and country to country, our passionate alums are a vital partner in helping us deliver on that mission.

To everyone at the Pan-Asian Reunion this weekend: Thank you for sharing your time, talent, and passions with the University and Michigan Ross.

Go Blue!

Connect with Michigan Ross        
Scott DeRue
  • Edward J. Frey Dean of Business
  • Stephen M. Ross Professor of Business
Scott DeRue is the Edward J. Frey Dean of the Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan. He is also the Stephen M. Ross...

Keywords